May 13, 2010

Delayed Onset Flooring Soreness DOFS

I just reada blog entry about DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Sorness) by Runnerdude (thanks Runnerdude, great post!).  I have mentioned that we have moved houses and are renovating.  I am putting down hard wood in our house of over 1000 sq ft and my lower body today is extremely sore.  This is also due to heavy lifting pulling, climbing ladders to paint , etc.  I am still running, but I don't realize how taxing renovations are to your body!  Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness is now Delayed Onset Flooring Muscle Soreness!!  So this begs the question... can I report on dailymile that i have been putting in daily workouts???  Its sort of squats, burpees, stairclimber etc!!!???  This coupled with poor sleep and non-stop working at the house has put a challenge to my running routine.  Do I do my long run this weekend?  Do I have the energy? We will see...so far, I think if I can keep  up my running during this challenge, its something to be proud of, but that is what I usually set to myself, do the most difficult thing first then step back and be in awe of your  own accomplishment!  I actually RAN while renovating??? Looking back on my life I would like to see I squeezed as much out of it as I can muster and be satisfied.

6 comments:

Kenley said...

DOFS. That is something Chad. I think you can call that cross training 100%. Last week I had DODPS Delayed onset deck painting soreness, for 4 days after too in my hamstrings. To do what you are doing and to maintain your running schedule......awesome. Best wishes on that and from recovering from the DOFS!

Evolving Through Running said...

Man, that post really hit home. 4 days after my first marathon I spent a 3-day weekend helping my father install hardwood floors in multiple rooms in their house. DOFMS in full effect. He had helped me construct a lattice under our deck/porch the weekend before the marathon (in hindsight, also not the best idea), so it was returning the favor. That is HARD work, with a lot of strain on the knees and back. Probably didn't do my ITBand issues any favors, but they sure looked good when they were done.

Chad said...

Hey Kenley , cross training it is. Im feeling it big time, and we jsut moved a bunch of funriture last nite all awkward position, I kept trying to be conscious of my back as it would suck to hurt it now~! Cheers!

Chad said...

Hey Evolving Thru Running! Its amazing how much getting low to the ground does, my hams, quads, and inner thighs are really sore, to the point that getting up makes me cringe right now~ hopefully it wont be too long lasting. Sometime my soreness lasts three days!

Get that figure four stretch in as much as possible for that ITB! Cheers! Thanks for letting your presence be known, it means the world!~

EZEthan said...

haha... I had a very similar experience roofing my garage about a month ago... standing on a 30 degree incline for 12 hours a day, 3 straight days, pretty much destroyed me (not to mention climbing up the ladder with 80 lbs of shingles balanced on my shoulder)... It pretty much destroyed my running for a week! On the otherhand I'm sure there must be some kind of crosstraining benefits!

Oh well, I'm sure the awesome new hardwood floors make it all worth it...Hope you recover quick...

Chad said...

Hey EZEthan!
Roofing is brutal, I did mine and youa re right hauling those shingles is killer! I had bone-bruises in my shoulder for a long time afterwards!
Rewarding though to do it yourself.
Cheers!