June 24, 2009

DEAD legs

I followed up my Seawall run with a 10 k yesterday morning. I must say, this is where my stubborness kicks in. Push myself hard and then instead of taking the recommended easy run after my long, I decided to push it and see how fast my 10 k could be. Well it wasn't. My time was well over my personal record. At 46:00 I now see there is a reason to take it easy. I had a lot of gusto at the beginning, with a first split of 21:28, but soon after the split I felt like my four year old was dragging behind me slowing me down. I was sucking wind too hard to keep the pace up, and i felt my speed quickly wain as my legs became heavier.
Oh well. My goal is a sub 40:00 min 10 k. But Rome wasn't built in a day! I really hate speed work, but I feel its a goal I will feel very satisfied in if I can achieve it, a sub 40min 10 k. It will happen... what I am relizing it some track work , interval training, and hill work is the prescription to faster times. With the marathon in the fall approaching, I need to both keep my distance goals in mind and tax my body in time efficiency training. Can distance and speed go together? Yes I beleive so.
RunnersWorld has some great articles about this subject which I will post as follow-up comments.
I will be working my way up to over 30k for my long runs, but doing some hill work and some dreaded intervals. I think I may need to ask for reinforcements for this, though. A friend to help keep my momentum up. Let me know if you have any advice on this front

1 comment:

Chad said...

Here is that article i was looking for for the first time marathon training.
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-244-255-11937-0,00.html