February 17, 2018

Mindfulness, meditation, and mental health

Mental healthis my bag. I talk it all the time. I have posted how I talk to the Big Guy, Creator, before when out on runs. In the last couple years though, I have been conscious of how crowded my mind is with worries, with strong emotions, with thoughts I cannot shake. I would be on a run and realize most of it was churning in my head. I would be so busy I felt like I couldn’t fully capture the joix de vivre I use to. The run was still helpful, don’t get me wrong! I just noticed this and realized a running Man who works as a therapist needed to work on his mental health more intentionally.
A simple thing I do for the last while is to stop midway and walk.  I took on a simple practice of mindfulness. Here is how it goes.
1. Stop
2. Breathe through my belly
3. Look around, notice surroundings what can I see, hear, smell, touch, even taste? 
4. Notice how your legs feel. Stand firmly and notice the large globe under your feet.
5. What am I feeling? Don’t judge anything you note. notice breathe.
6. As you resume, note this very moment, you are alive, healthy, breathing Creation.

That is it.  Being more present I the moment is a habit for anyone. When I get caught up in people’s problems, unsolvable dilemmas, heart ache, regrets or worries, I am not being mindful, and this is exhausting work. It leads me to lower mood and crankiness. I can stop and run mindfully to help get connected again.  
I’d love to hear any other tips or practices you may have. I also have learned much through a yoga group I have been part of at work with clients around being “mindful” versus being “mind full”.

No comments: